If you look at popular people and brands around the world, you will often find one common factor – they separate the masses.
Strong brands, and that includes personal brands, have people that either hate or love them. The more “edgy” the brand, the more DRASTIC the emotion they evoke in people.
I personally believe that Bill O Reilly is a racist son of a bitch, but because he’s so upfront with his beliefs, he attracts true fans that agree with him. Even If I hate him, I have to admit that he’s got a strong personal brand.
If YOU are neither black or white, merely drowning in different shades of gray, you will NEVER have passionate people supporting your cause.
Passion is a strong feeling, and it only emerges when the brand itself has a strong stand.
It’s called polarization, and it’s simply the best tool to build your own FAN BASE. If you got the guts to use it, that is.
Let me first introduce some brave people that take a stand and enjoy a rabid fan base:
- Ev Bogue says that the only reasonable way to live is by being a minimalist, getting rid of the trash that you don’t need. Obviously, he gets a lot of hate mail. And he also openly trashes problogger.com and copyblogger.com.
- Ashley Ambirge hates anything generic and both attracts and deters audiences with her brash writing style that encourages entrepreneurship and destroys whiny, complacent people who are afraid to take risks.
- Talking about risks – Tyler Tervooren is ALL about taking risks, and when you read his excellent eguide on getting more followers for your cause, you will see how strong and unapologetic his voice truly is.
Listen, I KNOW it can be hard to openly display your beliefs, ESPECIALLY if they go AGAINST the mainstream. But if you want to build ANY form of fan or passionate client base, YOU GOT TO SHOW WHAT YOU STAND FOR !
Let me start the polarization game by revealing some facts that will DETER some of you. But I don’t care – it’s who I am and it’s what I stand for. If it’s too much, you know where the door is.
Let’s DO some action:
- If you have to cuss, you CUSS ! Don’t put funny symbols into words that need to presented RAW. Forget about the lame asterisk that you want to sneak between the F and the CK. Say and write it OUT LOUD or leave it out all together. If Naomi Dunford even cusses openly in her eguides (which are awesome by the way!), then why can’t you DO it ?
- Sometimes I’m naked when I write my best posts. Or at least half-naked – I don’t wear pants. Why ? Because the goddess of creativity tends to inspire me when I’m about to go to bed. I’m already naked, so why waste your current insight with putting on some clothes ? Exactly !
- I hate the corporate culture. I think it’s disgusting and the closest thing to human slavery. Sure, there are exceptions. But most of this toxic environment is about turning you into an effective drone – don’t complain, work hard, follow the rules. What an insult to humanity that needs to thrive on creativity and freedom !
- Critics and complainers are useless. A person that tells you what’s wrong with you and your style WITHOUT offering an alternative solution doesn’t deserve my attention – ever. It’s super-hard to create, but it’s ridiculously easy to destroy. And criticism without solutions is simply that – pure destruction. Same goes for complainers – “uhhh, I HATE my job. I wish I was younger. Why does this always happen to me ?” Jeez, get a life. There’re at least 100,000 people who are seriously sick, poor as hell and maybe even homeless. Who are you to complain ? Take your cry-babyness by the balls and SQUEEZE it TIGHTLY, while screaming :”I’m going to change that – once and FOR ALL. And I’m starting now, RIGHT NOW !”
- You know what’s worse ? Hypocrites. People telling you to do stuff they are not doing themselves. Preachers who don’t practice what they preach – epic speeches that flatter your soul but are utterly meaningless because they are not backed up by action. I have read once a blog post of a social media guy who claimed that you SHOULD have enemies. Like Apple has Microsoft, you should have your counterpart as well because that would show your confidence and strengthen your brand. I agree, but when I asked him who his enemies were, he cowardly replied “procrastination”. Epic fail. You know what I did ? I immediately unfollowed him on Twitter and never read his blog ever again.
- I HATE any form of religion that pretends to OWN the truth. Especially Christianity, that’s the WORST form. You know what they say ? “There’s only one truth, and guess what ? We have it. Find the only truth through Jesus Christ or be DOOMED. “ FUCK that. Why should I care about a long deceased hippie that got crucified thousands of years ago ? I simply don’t. Everybody has to follow their own truth – there’s NOT one single way. Everyone who tells you that their believe is the best needs to get ignored. Stay away from religion. It’s poison for your mind.
Your turn. Show me that you’re a strong brand. Show me your TRUE belief and TAKE A STAND, right NOW, in the comments area. Share at LEAST one thing that could PISS PEOPLE OFF. If you DON’T DO that and just write a GENERIC comment, I will delete it STRAIGHT AWAY.
Show me what you stand for !
And retweet this article if you got the guts.
Join a community of Outstanders
In addition to my best content, you can also get my free comic branding guide and weekly, inspirational cartoons straight into your inbox: